Friday 15 April 2011

Flashback Friday

This week my thoughts are very much with memories of being young and where I grew up. I have a couple of trips within the month 'back home' or in that direction. When the weather started to warm up (well it tried!) it made me think about how great it would be to live by the sea again. Here I am sat on a rock with my old next door neighbour, whose family had come down for a visit.


I never really appreciated growing up by the seaside. I lived just at the bottom of the road that led to this beach. Our dog at the time certainly knew he was onto a good thing because he regularly escaped from the garden and raced up the road. For a Golden Retriever he was a little wild to say the least. Everywhere changes and it's not the same place any more but I often think back to that little village. My Mum used to walk me through fields and down past a little stream to get to my school, the memories are vivid. What makes me sad is that I am not sure it would be safe to do that now.

Now I am all grown up, living inland and a parent, I can see how lucky I was. My husband and I talk an awful lot about where we want to end up and what we can offer our son during his precious childhood (and any subsequent children). Long gone are the days where you can let your kids play freely without much worry but I would like to live somewhere like that again...

I love looking at old photo's so will be eagerly waiting for all the other entries over at Cafebebe...

Cafe Bebe

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like an idyllic childhood, things do seem to have changed over the years...but what precious memories! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would love to live by the sea - there's always somewhere to go whatever the weather. We can dream....
    x

    there's always a topless sleeping dad pictured somewhere on a beach shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to grow up by the sea, and now I have Mads I would love her too as well. A lovely photo for what sounds like a lovely childhood. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that you grew up in such a gorgeous place.

    It is such a shame that things have changed so much over the years. As children we used to be out all the time here there and everywhere but I too am getting concerned about when F is old enough to go out on her own. I'll be worrying like mad :(

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up by the sea and complained that we "never went anywhere" during the summers. I realise know how lucky I was to be able to see the sea from our kitchen window - what I woudn't give to have that now ;) Maria @verybusymama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I love going to the beach - so beautiful that you have these memories to treasure.

    So.... Mrs... after your comment I have questions:
    (1) Do you not work in London anymore? (2) What do you put in packed lunch? (I need ideas) (3) how much do you save by doing PL?

    I really need to do it - last 2 weeks cost a fortune and it HAS to stop :-)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful memory of a very happy time. It's a shame that we aren't able to appreciate things like this when we're in them but then maybe it will become a reality again for you one day.
    Thanks so much for linking up to Flashback Friday! ;)

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice memories. It sounds like you grew up in a great place...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have similar memories, and it's only since the arrival of BabyMibs that I have been quietly trying to scheme a way to live in the sticks on a smallholding for a much better start in life for him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had relatives that lived by the sea when I was little, and the thing I remember the most about staying with them was that we used to head off to the beach at about 5 or 6 in the evening. By that time all the tourists had headed off home, and we had the beach to ourselves! Perfect for a barbecue, or just a run around :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Oh spent his childhood on the beach too and every time it's lottery day he dreams of buying somewhere down there. True though, you cna't let your kids run wild these days can you? Such a shame and a great flaashback

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up by the sea and complained that we "never went anywhere" during the summers. I realise know how lucky I was to be able to see the sea from our kitchen window - what I woudn't give to have that now ;) Maria @verybusymama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an idyllic childhood, things do seem to have changed over the years...but what precious memories! x

    ReplyDelete